Step-by-step: Caring for a sick pet at home
Vomiting is common in both cats and dogs and often resolves itself without veterinary treatment within 24 hours at home. Read on to find out how to help your sick cat or dog at home.
If you would like to discuss your concerns with a vet you can book an online consultation through our Video Vet service. Find out more here.
If, after following the steps below, your pet continues to vomit you should call your vet or, out of hours, your nearest Vets Now pet emergency clinic or Vets Now 24/7 hospital.
If your dog has been sick a few times but otherwise appears well:
1. Remove all food and water for two hours
2. After this time, allow your dog to have small amounts of water
Offer this half-hourly, a few tablespoons at a time.
3. Withhold food for a further 6-8 hours
4. Reintroduce small meals (if the vomiting has stopped)
Offer 1-3 tablespoons of a bland low-fat cooked food such as chicken or white fish and rice and or pasta every hour or two. Plain cooked egg is also suitable. Fats, dairy and raw meat should be avoided.
5. If no further signs are seen, your pet can gradually return to a normal diet the following day.
Give the food in 4-6 small meals and introduce gradually by mixing with the bland diet, increasing the proportion of normal diet with each subsequent meal.
You might also be interested in:
If your cat has been sick once or twice but otherwise appears well:
1. Continue to provide water
2. Remove food for two hours
After this time, try offering a teaspoon of their usual food or bland low-fat cooked food such as chicken or white fish