Hello Are you worried about your Pet? We’re here to help…
Owners urged to keep daffodils away for their dogs this spring
A puppy became worryingly ill after snatching a daffodil from a bunch of flowers.
Daffodils are poisonous to pets, containing several toxic chemicals which are present throughout the plant but are concentrated in the bulb.
Eating them often results in sickness, diarrhoea and abdominal pain. It can also affect breathing and leave the pet at risk of developing an abnormal heart rate.
Vets Now clinics often see cases of pets being admitted after becoming ill through eating daffodils at this time of the year. And, with the flowers hugely popular Mother’s Day and Easter gifts, relieved owner Claire Perry is backing our calls for other owners to be aware of the dangers.
Having had such a scare, Claire has actually banned them from her home in Leighton Buzzard and is urging others to consider doing the same.
“We’ve always had cats, but Duke is our first dog and we got him because our two little boys wanted one,” said Claire.
“My mum had bought me a bunch as they’d just come into season, and I’d put them in a vase by the window.
“Duke jumped up, nicked one and ran behind the sofa eating it. Within about 10 minutes he was lying down with his heart looking like it was beating really fast.
“Then he was sick everywhere and when we saw it was the daffodil that came up, we checked the internet and realised the problem.”
As it was mid-evening, the family’s own vet practice was closed, but fortunately, help was at hand and they were directed to our clinic a short drive away in Milton Keynes.
It’s one of more than 60 Vets Now clinics and hospitals across the UK that are open seven days a week for out-of-hours pet emergencies.
Duke was swiftly admitted for examination and treatment, with Claire and the family kept up to date on his progress.
“Daffodils can cause a lot of problems in pets and obviously Duke had already been sick,” said senior vet Iva Nikolova.
“Fortunately, when we examined him his heart rate and breathing were okay, and his chest seemed clear.
“He tried to be sick again, but nothing came and when we did blood tests they came back normal, so we were able to give him an injection to stop vomiting and allow him home.
“Urgent treatment may be needed if your dog eats something toxic, so you should always seek help as quickly as possible.”
Claire, who feels Duke being sick so quickly may have made a big difference, was delighted to have the newest member of the family returned. And, happily, the playful pup was soon back to his old self.
But she insists it was a lesson learned.
“We won’t have daffodils in the house now and the boys are always keeping an eye out for them when we are out for a walk,” added Claire.
“I know you might think about keeping them somewhere out of reach, but it can only take a second.
“Dogs are such a part of the family that I just don’t think it’s worth the risk of having daffodils around at all.”