Lola the cat burnt all four paws after mistakenly climbing onto the hood of a wood-burning stove

A shocked pet owner has warned of the dangers of wood-burning stoves after her cat badly burnt her paws.

Four-year-old Lola suffered agonising burns when she jumped onto a red-hot stove and had to be rushed to Vets Now in Winchester for emergency treatment.

Her owner Julie Tranham is worried other cats could be at risk due to the increasing popularity of wood burners in British homes.

Our emergency vets have pointed out that similar injuries have been seen in cats who have jumped up on electric hobs and range cookers such as Agas.

Image of cat who burnt her paws on a wood-burning stove
Lola's paws were severely injured after jumping onto a wood-burning stove

Julie, who lives near Andover, was relaxing in her living room when Lola rushed in and unexpectedly jumped onto the stove.

“It all happened so quickly, ” she said. “She came running through and jumped straight up. It was over in a split second, but it’s surprising just how much damage can be done in that short time because Lola burnt all her paws.

“We’ve had the wood burner for quite a few years, but this was the first time that Lola had jumped on it — normally she notices when it’s on.

“Lola shot straight off and hid under the bed, and I went running after her because I knew the stove was so hot and she was bound to have hurt herself.”

Julie desperately tried to reduce the severity of the burns by holding a cool flannel to her paws but she could see how much Lola was suffering.

“A few weeks previously I’d spilt boiling water on my hand, and that was agony, so I was beside myself with the thought of Lola in such pain,” she said.

Julie called Vets Now in Winchester, which provides emergency care for pets in the area.

Staff at the clinic placed Lola’s paws in cool water and then prescribed antibiotics and painkillers before bandaging them up.

“I’m sure Lola won’t go near the burner again,” Julie added. “But I have placed a candle on the top to make sure there’s no chance of her jumping up.”

Julie describes herself as a “crazy cat lady”, who has six cats including one she rescued from Egypt after hearing about its plight from a charity on Facebook.

"Mrs Tranham is right to highlight the risks of wood-burning stoves, particularly at winter time when they're likely to be on more often."

Amy Kneller Veterinary Nurse

You might also be interested in:

Vet nurse Amy Kneller, who works at Vets Now in Winchester, said: “Lola is a beautiful cat and she must have got the fright of her life when she jumped on to the wood burner.

“Her pads were badly blistered, so we bathed them, gave her painkillers, and then dressed them in an antibiotic cream. They were then placed in bandages. Thankfully, she was a great patient.

“Mrs Tranham is right to highlight the risks of having wood-burning stoves in the home, particularly at winter time when they are likely to be on more often.”

Vets Now in Winchester — where Lola received treatment — is one of 58 Vets Now clinics and pet emergency hospitals across the UK that are open through the night, seven-days-a-week, and day and night on weekends and bank holidays, to treat any pet emergencies that may occur.

All of Vets Now’s premises have a vet and vet nurse on site at all times.