Archie the Labrador ended up in intensive care after raiding bin and eating chicken carcass

A GREEDY dog has made a miracle recovery after eating the contents of a bin and suffering potentially fatal necrotising pancreatitis.

Chocolate Labrador, Archie, devoured tin foil, plastic trays and an entire chicken carcass after getting into a room that’s usually locked.

His owner, Alyson Shaw, rushed the poorly 10-year-old to her local vet who transferred him to Vets Now in Winchester.

The clinic’s emergency vets jumped into action, performing various scans and x-rays and treating Archie for the excruciating pain he was suffering.

They eventually saved Archie’s life by flushing his abdomen.

Alyson, a doctor who lives in Romsey, Hampshire, said: “It was clear Archie was very uncomfortable. His stomach was tender, and he started being sick.

“I took him to our local vet but they were worried about him so, as it was a Saturday, they decided to refer him to Vets Now.

“The emergency vet looked at Archie’s gut, and it was clear his pancreas was in a bad way. Things were touch and go for a while.

“However, the vet kept us well informed throughout his ordeal, and we were also invited in to see him which meant a lot.

“Thankfully, Archie came through it, and he was transferred back to our own vet on the Tuesday.

“He’s a very lucky boy and is recovering well although I’m sure he would do the same thing again if given half-a-chance.”

Handpicked related content:

Principal vet Aisling O’Loughlin was part of the team at the pet emergency clinic in Winchester who treated Archie.

She described his condition as “very serious” and said he was “extremely fortunate” to have survived.

She explained: “At the beginning, we suspected Archie might have been suffering a blockage, but the scans did not back this up.

“We took the decision to take him to surgery and investigate, flushing his abdomen as his pancreas was extremely inflamed.

“At the time of the surgery we placed an abdominal drain to enable us to drain off fluid. A feeding tube was also placed down his nose so we could feed Archie, as he hadn’t eaten for a while and it was important to feed the gut to help it heal.

“Archie’s condition was very serious for a while, and we were worried he might not survive.

“But everyone in the team pulled together and, thanks to the intensive nursing care he received, Archie came out the other side.

“He was a lovely patient, a pleasure to treat and the entire team are thrilled he has made a full recovery.”

Handpicked related content:

Image of Labrador Archie being treated for necrotising pancreatitis.

Hundreds of dogs a year are treated for conditions caused by bin raids.

Chicken and turkey carcasses are a particular problem as their bones are hollow and splinter easily whether raw or cooked.

This can lead to gut irritation and perforation as well as dangerous obstructions.

Aisling added: “It’s really important pet owners dispose of food waste carefully and put anything potentially dangerous into a sealed bin, preferably outside.

“Anyone who suspects their pet has eaten something dangerous should follow the example of Dr Shaw and contact their vet as quickly as possible”.

Vets Now is open through the night, seven-days-a-week, and day and night on bank holidays and weekends, to treat any pet emergencies that may occur.

Pet owners can find their nearest Vets Now clinic or 24/7 pet emergency hospital by clicking here.

Suggested Tweet