How much chocolate can a dog eat?
Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromine, which is poisonous to dogs. Use our chocolate toxicity calculator for dogs to work out whether your dog has eaten a potentially toxic amount. Please note symptoms typically occur between four and 24 hours after your dog has eaten chocolate, though assessment and treatment may be required immediately. For comprehensive advice visit our chocolate poisoning advice page.
For comprehensive advice on what to do if your dog has eaten chocolate visit our chocolate poisoning advice page.
* Theobromine and caffeine are both methylxanthine alkaloids which are found in chocolate. Methylxanthine amounts are estimates and can vary depending on growing conditions, cocoa bean sources and variety. Susceptibility to chocolate toxicosis also varies according to a dog’s individual sensitivity and it can be hard to tell exactly how much your dog may have eaten. This tool should be used as guidance only — if you are at all in doubt or concerned, contact your vet. It is always better for your dog if treated early.
** Mild dark chocolate typically contains around 35 to 50% cocoa solids while strong dark chocolate contains upwards of 50% cocoa solids. Check the wrapper for more detailed information.
*** Please be aware that while white chocolate typically contains negligible amounts of theobromine, it may contain cocoa butter, sugar, butterfat and milk solids, all of which are bad for dogs and may cause a stomach upset.
**** If more than one dog may be affected, it’s advisable to present all of them to the vet.
***** Vets Now assumes no liability for the content of this page. The advice in this calculator is not a substitute for a proper consultation with a vet and is only intended as a guide. Please contact your local veterinary practice for advice or treatment immediately if you are worried about your pet’s health — even if they are closed, they will always have an out-of-hours service available.