Marley the American bulldog saved by emergency vets in Glasgow after suspected snake bite

A dog got a shock when he was bitten on the leg after disturbing a sun-bathing adder on the outskirts of a city.

The attack on four-year-old Marley came while he was enjoying a morning walk with owner Kerry-Anne Shaw in a field in the east end of Glasgow.

She only realised something had happened when she returned home from work later in the day to find Marley struggling desperately in his crate.

A closer inspection revealed his right-front leg was badly swollen.

Kerry-Anne rushed Marley to the Vets Now pet emergency hospital in Glasgow where emergency vets gave him pain relief and fluids.

Handpicked related content

Kerry-Anne, who works for Euro Paws Animal Rescue, said: “Marley was fine when I left him in the morning but by the time I came home he was struggling to walk. I thought he was at death’s door.

“I could see the swelling on his leg and it was absolutely atrocious. It seemed to go up very quickly.

“As it was out of hours, I rushed him to Vets Now in Glasgow and they kept him in overnight. I was surprised when the vet said it was likely his injuries were caused by an adder.

“The area we were walking in looks quite rural but I didn’t think you’d find adders there.

“The vets were fantastic, really helpful and they did all they could to help Marley. I’m grateful they managed to save him.”

Emergency vet Barbara Sanchez said: “Marley was in a lot of pain when he arrived at the hospital. The swelling on his right leg and chest, as well as the fact that he had been walking through a field that morning, led us to suspect he had been bitten by an adder.

“The swelling became larger and more painful during the night and Marley needed to be sedated in order for us to investigate further. Fortunately, however, he was starting to feel more comfortable by the morning.

“As Marley’s case shows, it’s vital that dog owners all over Britain are on high alert for adders during the spring and summer months.

“As well as the obvious pain associated with an adder bite, if a dog has an allergic reaction to the snake’s venom, the severe swelling can result in breathing problems — particularly if they have been bitten around the head or neck.

“Therefore, owners must contact their vet immediately if they suspect their dog has been bitten by an adder.”

The Vets Now hospital in Glasgow is Scotland’s first dedicated 24/7 pet emergency service. It operates as a pet A&E department with a team of dedicated specialist, referral and emergency vets on hand to provide care.

It’s one of a nationwide network of Vets Now clinics and pet emergency hospitals across the UK that are open through the night, seven-days-a-week, and day and night on weekends and bank holidays, to treat any pet emergencies that may occur.

bool(false)