- How does it work?
Once you have booked an appointment, you will receive a confirmation email with a link to join your video chat. It works just like a Facetime or Zoom call. You don’t need any special gadgets or technology, just a webcam and mic so the vet can see and hear you and your pet. You can use your mobile, desktop, laptop or tablet. Most have built-in webcams and mics.
Make sure your pet is with you. The vet can gain plenty of information and provide reliable advice based on your pet’s behavior, demeanor, physical characteristics and body language – all of which they can observe on a webcam.
- How long will my appointment last?
Video consults are scheduled to last 10 minutes. To get the most out of your video chat, please make sure you’re ready to join at the right time. If you have more than one problem to discuss with the vet, you may need to book 2 or more appointments.
- What equipment do I need?
Video Vets Now works on a mobile, laptop, desktop or tablet. The vet will want to see your pet and talk with you face-to-face, so it is best to sit with your pet in a well-lit area with little background noise. You will also need a decent internet connection.
You will also need access to the email address and mobile phone that you provided when you booked your appointment, so that the vet can contact you if there are any technical problems with your video link.
- What should I do if I can't access my appointment?
If you experience any of the following problems with your online consultation, contact [email protected]:
- You don’t receive your booking confirmation email
- You don’t receive a link to take you to your video consultation
- There’s a problem with the payment process
- You’re having difficulties with your internet connection
- You miss your consult
Please remember, our vets will use the phone number and email address you provided if they are unable to reach you via the video chat link within the booking email. The phone number will come up as Ã¢â‚¬ËœNo caller ID.’
- Who are the vets I'll be speaking with?
Our vets are all experienced clinicians with a wealth of knowledge in emergency medicine. All our vets are RCVS registered.
- Can I use Video Vets Now abroad?
The service is only available to UK residents. If you reside outside the UK, you should contact a veterinary surgeon in your own country who will be more familiar with local diseases and health problems.
- What symptoms can Video Vets Now help with?
We know that being a pet owner can sometimes be a worry. We’re here to answer any questions or concerns you may have. On most occasions, we can help you decide the right course of action for the health and wellbeing of your pet.
Video Vets Now is most suited to non-urgent queries. It can be used for general advice and guidance on whether you should be seen in clinic.
Here are some of the conditions our vets deem to be potentially life-threatening and are not suitable for Video Vets Now. In each case, your pet may need urgent emergency treatment so please contact your registered vet or out-of-hours care provider immediately.
- Breathing difficulties
- Deep or extensive wound injuries or significant bleeding (dripping)
- Trauma (e.g. car accidents)
- Male cats struggling to pass urine or faeces
- Rabbits neglecting food
- Any illness or injury in pets younger than 2 weeks old
- Swallowing hazards i.e. toys/ clothes etc
- Ingestion of toxic/harmful substances
- Eye problems
- Severe vomiting or diarrhoea, especially if your pet appears quiet or depressed or if it is going on for a long time (more than 24 hours)
- Swollen abdomen or retching (especially large dogs)
- Loss of thirst & appetite
- Struggling to give birth
- What animals can you help with?
The service is most appropriate for dogs, cats, domestic birds and small furries (such as guinea pigs, hamsters and rabbits). It is not recommended for exotic animals and we cannot provide video consultations for farm animals.
- How much does an appointment cost?
A 10-minute video consultation costs £24. If our vet recommends that you visit a clinic within 48hrs, we will refund your video consultation.
Please visit Video Vets Now Refund for more information
- How can I get a refund?
We can only offer refunds if:
- You are unable to complete your consultation due to a technical problem related to our software or services.
- The vet is unable to provide you with any information, guidance or advice.
If you believe you are entitled to a refund, you should contact us as soon as possible in writing (by email to [email protected]). We will then verify your entitlement to a refund and, if appropriate, complete the refund as soon as possible.
- How can I cancel an appointment?
Please email if you would like to cancel your appointment. Appointments that are cancelled more than 1 hour before the start time will be refunded.
- What happens if I need to see a vet after my appointment?
During your video consultation, you will be advised whether you should visit a vet in practice. If we recommend you are seen, we will refer you to your registered practice, help you find one closest or arrange an emergency appointment with Vets Now if it is out of traditional vet practice hours.
If you are seen within 48 hours of your video consultation, we will refund the cost of your video consult. More information can be found here Video Vets Now Refund.