Carbon Monoxide poisoning in cats

Food Dangers And Poisons For CatsWe all know how dangerous Carbon Monoxide poisoning can be to us humans, but it is equally important to remember that our pets are affected by it too. This is especially important to our feline friends -  afterall there is nothing more a cat likes on a cold day than to be happily curled up next to a fire or heater.

So, why is Carbon Monoxide poisonous to cats?

We rely on our red blood cells within our blood vessels to carry oxygen around our bodies and deliver this to the cells that need it. When we breathe in Carbon Monoxide this binds to the red blood cell effectively stopping it carrying the life giving oxygen we need. As a result your cat may be sleepy and drowsy and when walking may be wobbly. More severe signs include convulsions and death.

What can you do to protect your cat?

If you have a heater or gas appliance make sure it is regularily serviced. Carbon Monoxide sensors cost between £20 and £30 and are a wise investment for both yourself and your feline friend.

Interestingly it would appear that cats and dogs will show signs sooner than us, so a sleepy cat could be a sign that something isn’t right within your home.

Please note: this advice is not a substitute for a proper consultation with a vet and is only intended as a guide. Please contact your local veterinary practice for advice or treatment immediately if you are worried about your pet’s health - even if they are closed, they will always have an out of hours service available. Find out more about what to do in an out of hours emergency.